An Asian Dessert: Red Beans and Black Glutinous Rice Stew.
























Hello everybody! Sorry that I have been MIA for the past few days. I am still adapting to a lot of changes with my new schedule. Let me put it in a list as usual.

  • I am back to my yoga school to finish up my hours to complete the advance level of teaching.
  • I am diligently putting in more hours to practice on my own at home to prepare myself for the Malaysian International Yoga Competition 2014. *panicky* 
  • I have taken up more teaching opportunities. Exciting times.
  • I have to squeeze in my work, self study, assignments and lesson preparation as well.
Well, I'm not complaining. More work or less work, I love blogging and I am not going to compromise it for anything in this world. I made a commitment and I'm going to stick by it. Yippeee! Sometimes I do feel guilty for not being as witty as I used to be because my attention is divided into various things at one time, but I'm not going to let that stop me from continuing what I love. It's just a temporary setback. This too shall pass.
So let's get to the recipe that I have prepared for today. 

INGREDIENTS.....

























  • Red Beans - 1 cup
  • Black Glutinous Rice - 1 cup
  • Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
  • Rock Sugar - 250 grams
  • Pandan Leaves - 2 to 3
  • Water

LET'S BEGIN.....

1. If you want to be done quickly, please use a pressure cooker. Then, you omit the need for long hours of soaking and boiling.  Patience is not always a virtue. 
2. Add the red beans, glutinous rice, pandan leaves and 6 cups of water into your pressure cooking vessel. Keep the flame at high and you probably have to wait for 15 to 18 whistles until all the red beans turn soft and start to break apart.
3. Once all your red beans are soft enough, add another 1liter or 1.5 liters of water along with coconut milk and rock sugar. The reason for the addition of more water at this stage is because, the stew will continue to thicken as the sugar melts.
4. Turn off the flame and remove the pandan leaves. Allow the stew to cool down, serve warm or chilled.




TIME FOR A TASTE TEST.....

I loved it. It's packed with protein and the fragrance of the stew itself is amazing. Adjust the coconut milk, water and sugar measurement according to your preference. My measurements are just guidelines. If you have a pressure cooker, you will be done within one hour and it will be a great, before dinner snack. Let me know how your batch turned out. Happy weekend everybody!

~M~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakthi Bandha Asanas (Energy Block Postures)

Sheetali & Sheetkari Pranayama.

Day 5: Pawanmuktasana Series. A yogi's warm up.