Vegan Orange Muffins.


Time for another breakfast/snack idea. I think I did a good job by sticking to fruit based recipe ideas this entire month. Woohoo! So the last fruit to join the bandwagon this month are juicy oranges. I think apples and oranges are a staple at every home. I always have oranges lying around my fruit basket at home. So I grabbed 2 medium sized oranges and whipped up this easy yet yummy vegan muffins. No butter, no eggs and no refined sugar. Sounds good? 

Ingredients.....

All purpose flour
2 cups
Brown sugar
2/3 cup
Vegetable oil
½ cup
Baking powder
1 teaspoon
Bicarbonate of soda
1/8 teaspoon
Freshly squeezed orange juice
2 medium sized oranges
Orange zest
1 orange
Vanilla extract
½ teaspoon
Salt
A pinch

*Yields 15 medium sized muffins.

Let's begin.....

  1. Zest a medium sized orange. Squeeze two medium sized oranges in order to get 1 cup of juice.
  2. Preheat the oven at 180°C.
  3. Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest and salt.
  4. Mix in the oil, vanilla extract and orange juice. At this stage, you will hear a fizz due to the reaction between the baking soda and orange juice. This creates air in the batter to make fluffy muffins.
  5. Only use a spatula or a wooden spoon to fold in the mixture to prevent the muffin batter from becoming too dense. I do not suggest using a hand mixer.
  6. Use a muffin tin lined with paper cups and fill it's 3/4 full. I used a muffin cup which does not require a muffin tin.
  7. Bake it in the oven for 15 to 17 minutes.
  8. Serve the muffins warm or allow it cool completely.




Give this easy muffin recipe a try and let me know how yours turned out. Store the muffins in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated. You can always warm it up in the oven or just leave it out for about 30 minutes for the muffins to come to room temperature. All the ingredients can be found at home and the entire process only takes up to 40 minutes. These fluffy muffins make a great evening snack for the kids. I'm sure adults will savour these muffins because it's not too sweet. If I can describe it in 3 words, I would say soft, fragrant and mildly sweet. Have a  muffin-licious  day!!

~M~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakthi Bandha Asanas (Energy Block Postures)

Sheetali & Sheetkari Pranayama.

Day 5: Pawanmuktasana Series. A yogi's warm up.