Healthy Banana Bread.



I wasn't a big fan of bananas when I was younger. It made me want to gag every time I was offered a banana. After all those years of having a restrained relationship with bananas, I tried them out again last year. NOTHING HAPPENED TO ME. Then I realized all these years it was in my head. I was mentally rejecting bananas when they did no harm to me, actually. In my quest to create a healthy breakfast that can be prepared ahead of time, I had an idea to make a homemade bread. Not just any bread but banana bread. It only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to combine all the ingredients and after 40 minutes in the oven, you've made your own bread. Most of the ingredients are kitchen essentials. Whenever you have some bananas lying around, whip up this easy banana bread and you don't have to fuss about breakfast for a week. Okay? Okay.


Ingredients.....

Bananas
4 (ripe, medium sized)
Flour
1 ½ cups
Oil
2/3 of a cup
Brown sugar
½ cup
Baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons
Bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon
Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon
Walnuts (optional)
½ cup
Salt
A pinch

Let's begin...

1. Line a bread tin with parchment paper. I used at 9 inch x 4 inch bread tin but you can go one size smaller       or even a square cake tin.
2. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
3. Peel the bananas and mash them using a fork.
4. Add in the oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
5. Fold in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
6. Finally, add in the chopped walnuts and mix it even in the batter.
7. Transfer the mixture into your bread tin and bake them for 35 to 40 minutes.
8. Use a toothpick to check if they are done and allow it to cool completely before you slice them.




Time for a taste test! Of course I had to be the first one to test it. It tasted just like an ordinary bread with a kick of banana. Not too sweet and  not too dense like a banana cake. The chopped walnuts gave the bread a nice crunch in every bite. You can even leave out the walnuts or replace it with your favorite type of nuts and dried fruits. For me the walnuts only added a mild nutty flavor and I loved it and that matters to me because this is my breakfast for the next week. On the whole, this banana bread was easy to make with minimum ingredients. Give it a try and let me know how your banana bread turned out. Adios!

*To store this banana bread, place it in an airtight container and leave it in the fridge for up to one week. You can always warm it up in the oven at 150°C for 5 minutes and you're ready to eat.

~M~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakthi Bandha Asanas (Energy Block Postures)

Sheetali & Sheetkari Pranayama.

Day 5: Pawanmuktasana Series. A yogi's warm up.