Crispy Apple Bites.



I had a packet of wonton wrappers lying in my fridge for about a month. I wondered what I could do with just the wonton skin. I wasn't in the mood to go through the hassle of making vegetarian wonton dumplings. Wonton wrappers are super versatile. They can be fried, steamed, boiled and baked. To make life easier, I thought of baking it. I had some granny smith apples lying around the kitchen as well, so why not make a quick apple pie with wonton wrapper crust. Technically, it's not an apple pie because there is no pie crust but I think taste wise, it qualifies to be termed as an apple pie. I have to say, these apple bites takes no time at all compared to making an apple pie from scratch. It's crispy, petite and sweet enough to satisfy your cravings. The perfect finger food. Mind you, they may fly off from your kitchen as soon as they are out of the oven. Well, who can resist the delicious aroma of apple pies. Yum!


Ingredients.....

  • Small granny smith/ gala apple - 1
  • Wonton wrappers - 10 sheets
  • Butter - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
  • All purpose flour - 1/2 tablespoon
  • Cinnamon powder - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Vanilla extract - 1/4 teaspoon

Let's Begin.....

  1. Chop the apple into little cubes and add it to a bowl of salted water. This way, the apple does not turn brown quickly. You can also grate the apple skin if you prefer.
  2. Drain the apple cubes add it onto a pan. Add cinnamon powder, butter, brown sugar, all purpose flour and vanilla extract.
  3. Place it over a stove and give all the ingredients a good mix on a medium flame. Once the butter has melted, turn the flame to low and continue cooking the apples till they become soft.
  4. Allow the apple filling to cool while place the wonton wrapper on the baking tray. To make cleaning much easier, I would recommend to place a sheet of baking paper on the tray.
  5. Place a dollop of the apple filling at the center of the wonton wrapper. You can either fold it lengthwise or do it like mine, fold to make a triangle. Use water to seal the wonton wrapper at the edges.
  6. Place the baking tray into a preheated over at 200°C. Bake one side for 10 minutes, then turn them over. Bake for another 10 minutes.
  7. Allow them to cool and your crispy apple bites are READY!




I certainly had fun making my apple bites. I am quite impressed with myself for coming up with my own recipes and creations nowadays. I hope to keep the spirit up in the kitchen. Feel free to use my recipe or make little modifications here and there with what you already have at home. These apple bites are a great evening snack and did I mention how your entire house smells like you baked an apple pie in 30 minutes. Enjoy and have a great day everybody!

~M~



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakthi Bandha Asanas (Energy Block Postures)

Sheetali & Sheetkari Pranayama.

Day 5: Pawanmuktasana Series. A yogi's warm up.