I begin my practice everyday with joints exercises and proceed to sun salutations. I have to say, its's a great way to warm up your stiff muscles and joints early in the morning to improve flow of air, heat and prana in your body. It's gentle enough to be practiced by anyone irrespective of your age. Just practicing these basic exercises would be a great way to kick start your day if you do not have the time to allocate for an hour practice. A great relief from morning stiffness, beginning with your toes and all the way up to your neck. Here's a list of exercises/joints that we engage during the practice:
- Padanguli Naman (Toe bending)
- Goolf Naman (Ankle Bending)
- Goolf Chakra (Ankle Rotation)
- Kneecap Contraction
- Janu Naman (Knee Bending)
- Janu Chakra (Knee Crank)
- Goolf Ghoornan (Ankle Crank)
- Ardha Titali Asana (Half Butterfly)
- Shroni Chakra (Hip Rotation)
- Poorna Titalo Asana (Full Butterfly)
- Mustika Bandhana (Hand clenching)
- Manibandha Naman (Wrist Bending)
- Manibandha Chakra (Wrist Joint Rotation)
- Kehuni Naman (Elbow Bending)
- Kehuni Chakra (Elbow Rotation)
- Skanda Chakra (Shoulder Socket Rotation)
- Greeva Sanchalana (Neck Exercises)
This particular video demonstrates the complete pawanmuktasana practice along with a detailed description of breathing, techniques, awareness and benefits. The video is also exceptionally long due to the detailed explanation, but once you've got the hang of all the steps, it only takes 10 minutes of your time.
(Video courtesy: Divine Wellness-Live Yoga)
- Excellent in loosening up the joints of the body
- Excellent for those suffering with rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure and heart problems
- Brings about harmony in the physical body
- Stimulates and balances the pranic energy flowing through the nadis
- Feel lightness and emotionally fresh
This is my first photo ever taken while I perform Bakasana/Crow Pose. It's one of the most common hand balancing poses and one where you can easily land on your face too! Seriously, I'm kidding! It's all about engaging your core muscles, a little arm strength and a the trick is in shifting your body weight forward. Just to be extra careful, place a pillow in front your face. Haha...
What I appreciate today.....
So, while my student was staying in a shoulder stand, I had the opportunity to gaze at the beautiful sky through the window. I continued to admire this image along with shavasana. Yoga, a few drops of sweat, shavasana and a blue sky to begin my Monday. So, that's my take on #howtobehappyJanuary for today. Have a great rest of the day peeps!