GO GRANOLA!


If you're guilty of skipping breakfast every morning, you're in for a treat today. I have also had those mornings and I know, it's not fun! Unfortunately, time is just not on our side on some days. For many years, I had to depend on store bought "stuff" as I would like to call it, shove it into my huge bag and munch on it while I drive. It's a pathetic situation and we just have to roll with it. I know many people can relate to this scenario because we just get busier by the day. I no longer sacrifice my quality time with breakfast because my schedule is way more flexible now. But for those of you who are still battling with breakfast, I came up with something to cheer you up. Well you know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Let's learn to make this easy on-the-go energy bars a.k.a GRANOLA BARS. You may have seen these in the supermarkets and whenever I try to grab one, my eyes just pop out of my socket. It's unreasonably overpriced for the size of the granola bars. You should have known by now that I have a thing for making everything at home. Obviously, I wasn't going to let these granola bars escape out of my sight before I get my hands on them. I wish I could have learnt this recipe years ago and I could have treated myself to a better breakfast. Better late than never. Either breakfast or a snack on-the-go, these granola bars are easy to make, nutritious and most importantly, delicious! Would you believe me if I told you that these granola bars can be kept in your fridge for 3 months.


Dry Ingredients

Rolled oats
2 & ½ cups
Desiccated coconut
¾ cup
Chopped hazelnuts
¾ cup
Dried blackcurrants
½ cup
Brown sugar
½ cup
Vanilla extract
½ teaspoon

Wet Ingredients

Butter
100 grams
Honey
½ cup
Salt
A pinch

Let's begin.....

1. Line a 8 x 8 inch square tin with baking sheet.
2. In a small saucepan, add butter, honey and a pinch of salt. Place the pan over low heat and allow the butter to melt completely. Then, keep aside and allow it to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
4. In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
5. Add the melted butter and honey mixture. Mix everything until the dry ingredients are well coated.
6. Transfer the mixture into the square tin and firmly press it down. 
7. Place the tin on the middle rack and set the timer to 25 minutes.
8. Allow the granola to cool down to room temperature. If you find the granola being too soft, place it in the fridge to firm up. 
10. Cut the granola into squares once it has firmed up. Place it in an air tight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 months.



You don't have to follow the recipe exactly. You can replace hazelnuts with almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds or pistachios. The dried blackcurrants can be replaced with mixed fruits, dried apricots, dried figs or anything you wish to add. Even the butter can be replaced with peanut butter or almond butter. Customize according to what you have in hand and according to your preference. The possibilities are endless! Different combinations will result in different taste. Give this easy recipe a try and I hope you will no longer skip your breakfast once you have mastered this granola recipe. I would love read your feedback, so feel free to drop a comment. You can also share with me your modified version of this granola recipe, so that I can try out something new. GO GRANOLA!

~M~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakthi Bandha Asanas (Energy Block Postures)

Sheetali & Sheetkari Pranayama.

Day 5: Pawanmuktasana Series. A yogi's warm up.